Paia Bypass Road 2018
The Hawaii State Department of Transportation (DOT) proposed alignment for the Paia Relief Route, ie. Paia Bypass Road, is not the Sunnyside route we have all been led to believe for the past 20 years. It is not the route recommended by the Advisory Committee. DOT Planning Branch Program Manager Ken Tatsuguchi & Cheryl Soon of SSFM appear to have chosen a route that will start at Baldwin Beach, cross Baldwin Ave at Poni Place, pass mauka of Kuau Bayview, and re-join Hana Hwy just west of Kuau Mart at Waa Place. This proposed route will destroy the quality of life for everyone who lives in Paia, especially those in Kuau Bayview, Kuau town, and near Poni Place without even solving the traffic problem. The Kala/Sunnyside/Paia Mill/Hamakuapoko Roads are all owned by the County so the County would not have to buy that land, unlike their proposed route.
The following slideshows illustrate the suitability of the Sunnyside route for the bypass we would support and the unsuitability of the Poni Place route we will not support:
- Kala Road from Hana Hwy
- Sunnyside Road to Paia Mill Rd to Baldwin Ave
- Spreckelsville Road from Kala to Hana Hwy
- Hamakuapoko Rd to Maliko Gulch & Hana Hwy
- Poni Place and Waa Place
Please sign the ONLINE PETITION in support of the Sunnyside Road route. Or help by printing a petition form and collecting signatures.
Share comments, opinions, & info on the new PAIA BYPASS DISCUSSION FORUM!
Upcoming Meetings & Legislation
- MEETING POSTPONED UNTIL MAY or JUNE: Tues, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:30pm at the Paia Community Center: informational meeting by the State Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration to address traffic congestion.
Documents, Maps, & Useful Links
Here are some older documents that provide a history of efforts made since 1990 to determine a route for the Paia Bypass. If anyone has any others, please send them and I'll add them to the list so that we can all get up to speed on this topic...
- 2018-04-25 Darren Strand hired as new GM at A&B Diversified
- East Maui residents at odds over new Paia bypass proposal
- 2018 Map of DOT Currently Proposed Bypass Route
- 1988 Appraisal for A&B Proving Cane Haul Roads are Public
- Sea Level Rise Projection for Baldwin Beach-Paia Area
- 1990 Paia Haiku Country Town Design Guidelines
- 2009-06-29 Paia Relief Route Meeting
- 2009 Large Map of Paia Relief Route Alternatives
- 2010 Paia Relief Route Advisory Group Report
- 2012-07-02 Paia Haiku Community Plan
- Paia Relief Route website (hopefully it will work soon)
- 2017-02-23 David Spee Project near Paia Post Office
- Maui transport projects jockey for position - Maui News 2018-01-31
- Hawaii State Bill SB2888 regarding Funding for the Paia Bypass
- RPA Parcel Field Books History to 1987
- DSA Public Records Information * you have to add a '2' at the front of the TMK for Maui